Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Year

We spent New Years at home. Like just us three, er 4. Or 6 if you count our furry kids. We made dinner, watched a movie, and around 9pm Ava and I were ready for bed.  I get excited to do things as a family, but a bit bummed we don't have friends with families that live close by.  And as the night gets later I get a bit lonely that we decided to stay in while we have friends in other cities that won't be in bed for a few more hours. But honestly instead of wanting to go back in time to our spontaneous lives of bars, late nights, and little responsibility - I really hope in time our friends will get married and pop out babies, too. Instead of searching for singles in downtown bars, I hope one day a friend would prefer a play date or dinner in and still consider it a fun night. In time right?!

As the year winds down I had been thinking back on our years together.  I reflected on our lives so far and how our plans used to focus on where to party and now it focuses more on what we want to do as a family and who we want to be around.  Choosing who we want to make time for and make part of our lives.  And sadly sometimes still not getting time to see those people due to time, work, distance, and money...you know, responsibilities.  I thought of this year being Ava's last as an only child. And I got sad because it will make our baby seem so grown up. And I thought of all the changes we have made and told Kyle that I think even in the beginning of our relationship that this is the life we both wanted in a few years. Then I firmly asked "right?!" :)

My favorite part of New Years is the ball dropping in New York. And up until like 5 years ago (yes, I'm pretty sure I was in college) I thought the ball re-dropped every hour which for some reason made it more magical. Like I was counting down with all Times Square. And then I found out the ball drops once and then is replayed each hour. Seriously one of the most disappointing things.  So this year I was expecting to fall asleep early and wake up in 2014, but surprisingly at like 11:50pm Kyle woke me up, turned on the TV, and we watched the ball drop together. Love those little surprises. Ava even woke up, too (I am guessing from the light of the TV since it was basically muted). And the dogs were freaking out from the fireworks going off so they joined as well and we rang in 2014 as a family.

Some of my goals for this coming year are
-being smart with money
-being more patient
-not raising my voice
-lastly I want to have balance in the next year. Mostly family and work balance. But I think it should also include friends, husband/wife, and personal life balance. I think when Ava was born I either wanted to be with her or I would be at work but I wouldn't be caught dead leaving her for a few hours to see friends or to work out or to go on a date with Kyle. That would just cut into my time with her and although I still feel strongly about that and want my extra time to be with her there does need to be a balance.

Here's to a New Year and a better version of us all