Monday, February 25, 2013

Solid Foods

We have started Ava on solid foods.  Our first trial was around 4 months.  I didn't really expect her to start chowing down, but I really wanted to start experimenting so she could get used to the spoon, highchair, and different textures and tastes of food.  Our first food was bananas.  She liked the taste, but her tongue moved in the wrong direction which was expected.  However, she didn't cry with the introduction of everything so I thought it went pretty well!

Then one of my friends told me I may want to try veggies first because otherwise after the sweet tasting fruit it can be difficult to introduce veggies.  Makes sense.  So Iwe introduced Ava to carrots.  And then peas.   And now we have been stuck with carrots for awhile because Mom pureed wayyyyyy too many carrots and we have a few servings left to finish.  Although, solid feeding hasn't been a consistent day to day thing, she has gotten a lot better with keeping the food in her mouth and is now trying to hold the spoon herself.

I'm looking to try and make a few more pureed versions for her.  I'm no Betty Crocker but season-less, steamed and mushed up fruits and veggies is right up my alley.  We have a couple trays to freeze the food into little baby ice-cube portions and so far it has been really simple.  And so far I've only done peas and carrots because I wasn't that smart with how many carrots you need to fill up and ice cube square.  Just FYI it's not that many!  And if you want to freeze a variety of baby foods then I would suggest starting with only a few carrots :)


Feeding time begins


Grabbing for the spoon

Sometimes we get nervous she is going to sling-shot her food at us


Other times she gets it just right!


But either way we have a pretty good time :)